Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I am a man of very many names. Not in a bored parent kind of way but nicknames. I guess this is a good place to list them all. I guess I should start with the name under which I’m writing this blog.

  • Cucumber – This came about in the summer of 2003, during a 4 hour stint of football. During a very tense penalty shoot out, I slotted mine away “as cool as a cucumber”. I think I was just a bit shy, but never mind.
  • Red Hot Chilli Richard – Later on that summer, the same people got to know my frustrated side at Soul Survivor, a Christian camp. This was the Hyde to my Cucumber Jekyll.
  • Fridge – The oldest one still in circulation, this has no relation to the retired American Football player and is really a more interesting name than the story of how I got it.
  • Dick – Fairly self explanatory, my name is Richard, Dick is short for Richard and I got it from my friend when we were 12 and so it was ‘hilarious’.
  • Dicky T – Same group but a softer version when the original joke got a bit thin.
  • Cappy – Someone once had a dream that I was a sea captain and so I was referred to as this for a couple of weeks.
  • Cappy Dick – See above.
  • Tricky Dicky – My dad used to call me this when I was quite young and I only remembered it when people started calling me Dicky T.
  • Todge – When my friend Bob wanted to abbreviate Dick he thought this was shorter. He’s a bit thick really.

    I’ve probably got others to add but we’ll leave it at that for now.

2 comments:

Ropertron said...

How about another name. As you are known to loiter around coffee mornings, and drink lots of the glorious brown stuff. Seeing you on the Pathfinder rota as Rich T seems rather apropriate.

Nairobiexile said...

All this biscuit and cucumber stuff is a bit religious for my taste - sort of suggests vicarage lawns and old cardigans. How about an update ? Why not explore the exciting world of frozen gerkins or peanut cheesecake ? The church has got to come screaming into the present day and Richard, you could be the one to do it.